Some drugs are deposited into tiny arteries in the eyes, causing inflammation and tissue damage
What is Auditory damage
Certain drugs can easily irritate and damage tiny vessels and nerves in the eighth cranial nerve
What is drugs effects on the central nervous system in regards to drug toxicity?
Affects CNS directly or by altering electrolyte or glucose levels
What are Atropine-like (anticholinergic) effects in regards to drug toxicity?
Blocks the effects of the parasympathetic nervous system by blocking cholinergic receptors (dry mouth, constipation, HA, PI, bloating, confusion)
Explain Parkinson-like syndrome in regards to drug toxicity
Drugs that affect dopamine levels in the brain causing a syndrome that resembles Parkinson’s disease
Explain Neuroleptic malignant syndrome in regards to drug toxicity
Caused by general anesthetics and other drugs that have direct central nervous system effect (cause dangerous rise in body temperature)
What would you advise to patients about the Risks
1) Advise the pregnant woman of the possible effects on the baby before administering a drug
2) Weigh the actual benefits against the potential risks
3) Advise pregnant women not to self-medicate during pregnancy
What are some general guidelines to administering drugs?
1) Maximize beneficial and minimize adverse effects (try non-drug therapies also)
2) Least drug – least doses (increases compliance)
3) Individualize doses – recommended doses are only guidelines
When considering the quality of life what do you consider?
generic vs. trade for costs, effectiveness, solubility; effect of drug
In older adults over the age of 65 how would you go about administering drugs?
over age 65 may be for care than for cure to control symptoms and be able to continue ADL’s
What is the role of the nurse in the nursing process?
1) Assessing the whole person
2) Considering the person’s response to the treatment plan
3) Acting as the key HCP
4) Administering therapy as well as medications
5) Teaching the patient how best to cope with the therapy
6) Evaluating effectiveness of therapy